Thursday, August 28, 2014

Bully Free Card Game

I picked up this cool looking game while at my local autism conference a few months ago. It is recommended for 2-4 players and as I had 11 kids I didn't really play it as a game. I pushed two kidney tables together and we all sat around them (this is one of my favorite ways of teaching). I passed each colored stack around the table having the kids "take one" and "pass the others", which by the way, is a VERY difficult task that I am determined to conquer by the end of the year!! I then went around the table clockwise having the first student give me a card of his choosing from the 4 he had and we discussed each card as a group.

There are 4 categories. 
1. Confidence Builders - These cards say things like "what are you good at?" "what makes you a good person?" I was surprised that the kids could not think of one thing they were good at so I had to help out and ask questions like "who is good at dancing?" "who is kind to others?" It took that for them to see their good qualities.
2."What would you do if...." - These stated things like, "someone tried to beat you up", or "someone tripped you on purpose". We talked about how we would handle each situation and practiced saying. "please stop it" "leave me alone" and when it was time to tell someone.
3. Bully Busters - These tell how you can help someone who is being bullied.
4. Ways to stay bully free - These gave examples of things you can do if you or someone you know is being bullied. Again we discussed and practice using our words.

All in all I thought these cards were great for conversation starters. In 45 minutes each student only got to pass in 2 cards but everyone was engaged and participating the whole time. I can't wait to use them again!

You can find them online. Or HERE at Amazon.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I just found out today, that besides teaching my students that are medically fragile (I am down to 3 now), I will also be case managing four 9th graders with autism included in resource/general ed classes and teaching one social skills/study skills class. After reading one of the IEPs today, these cards would be a perfect activity for all of them. I will check them out at Amazon. Thanks for the tip!
    www.specialedconnections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound like you are going to have a very busy year Jannike! Let me know if you need any social skills worksheets to get you started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete