Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Teacher Meltdowns

It's busy busy busy at my work this week! I had two aides out today for starters, and this Friday is the end of the first quarter. Benchmarks and grades are both due. Come to find out today, they have changed the way to post them so I was on that all morning trying to figure out what we needed to do. I am also organizing an assembly for the kids on Friday to hand out their "Perfect attendance" dog tags (I'll talk about this more later) and trying to gather the "Steps To Success" awards (later too) that I handed out to all the teachers to fill in and need back by tomorrow afternoon. And to top it off.... I will be absent Friday for the whole thing!! That's ok, our spirit club team is amazing and I have delegated appropriately. After all of that, and while my kids were in the cafeteria eating, I went in to talk to my boss about an issue with getting my new projector mounted in my room. Now, I can't exactly explain what happened while I was in his office, because frankly I do not know. We talked, he wasn't mean or condescending, there is just a glitch (and maybe too many people telling me different things) in the path to getting my new projector mounted. No big deal right? Well, I left his office and just burst into tears! I tried walking it off and took the long way back to my class doing deep breathing exercises the whole time to no avail. I seriously considered getting into my car and just taking a drive, but I didn't have my keys on me! I finally got back to my room (luckily without being seen) and had myself a little meltdown. You know, the big tears, runny nose, hard to catch your breath... yep, that's what I had.  I was finally getting over it when one of my co-worker friends walked in and it took all I had to not restart the whole thing again. Seriously this went on for about a half hour! And every time I saw one of my friends I could feel the tears welling back up again. Well, I calmed down, the kids came back, and we finished out our day. THANK GOD! Does anyone else ever have days like this? I am hoping today was "my" day and that I will not be needing anymore of them for quite some time. Thanks for letting me talk about it, I think I feel better now.

Yours Truly,

4 comments:

  1. I have had them because I was going through the "change", but not over anything at school, although I have had plenty of tears at my workplace, including today (my job status is once again up in the air, but that's another story!). Sorry you had that, but sometimes when you get it all out, you just feel better, and are ready to handle everything that comes your way once again. Good luck, Karen! Friday sounds intriguing so I am looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Not again? That's just crazy Jannike. I hope you find your way soon, this has to be so frustrating for you. Whoever gets you is going to be lucky though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This must be a challenging year for everyone. We are having a rough one ourselves. I had a para turn in her stuff last week saying she was leaving due to medical reasons. So she left and now it feels like we are doing the job of 5 with 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, that's no good! They are essential to our classrooms. I have had one only come 8 days so far in the last 11 weeks for medical issues and, ugh. Luckily (or unluckily depending on who I get) we get subs for them. But having a new person every few days get really old really fast.

    ReplyDelete